Monday, June 20, 2016

letter to French Ambassador re: blocking aid to Calais

The Ambassador
French Embassy:
58 Knightsbridge
London
SW1X 7JT

Re: refusal of entry to France
20 June  2016

Dear Ambassador,

I am writing to express my outrage at your country’s refusal to allow the aid convoy to Calais to enter France on Saturday 18 June.  As a member of that convoy I had booked a ticket on the ferry months ago and driven from York to Dover in order to get the ferry and deliver the aid to refugees in Calais.

I was shocked that customs had been ordered to prevent our humanitarian convoy from entering France when what we wished to do was deliver aid and express our solidarity with the refugees.  In the past I have seen some of the worst countries in the world blocking aid, but never expected to see that happen within the EU, where freedom of movement is one of our basic rights.

I would like you to reassure me that humanitarian convoys will never again be blocked from entering France.

I also left some of the aid, that I would have personally delivered to refugees, on the steps of the Embassy.  I hope that you will have this delivered to the refugees as a matter of urgency, as I was prevented from doing so.

Please can you tell me what has happened to the aid that was left at the embassy and when it was delivered.


Yours sincerely




Tom Franklin

No comments: